Book Selection and Censorship
The Board of this library recognizing the pluralistic nature of this community and the varied backgrounds and need of all citizens, regardless of race, creed or political persuasion, declares as a matter of book selection policy that:
- Books and/or library material selection is and shall be vested in the librarian and under her (or his) direction such member of the professional staff who are qualified by reason of education and training. Any book and/or library material so selected shall be held to be selected by the board.
- Selection of books and/or other library material shall be made on the basis of their value of interest, information and enlightenment of all people of the community. No book and/or library material shall be excluded because of the race, nationality or the political or social views of the author.
- This board believes that censorship is a purely individual matter and declare that while anyone is free to reject for himself books which he does not approve of, he cannot exercise this right of censorship to restrict the freedom to read of others.
- This board defends the principles of the freedom to read and declares that whenever censorship is involved no book and/or library material shall be removed from the library save under the orders of a court of competent jurisdiction.
- This board adopts and declares that it will adhere to and support:
- The Library Bill of Rights, and
- The Freedom to Read statement adopted by the American Library Association, both of which are made a part hereof.
Adopted May 12, 1970